CROSS-CULTURAL COMMUNICATION PROJECT
Do you have any question about the discussion this week? Please let us know what bothers you.
Today we are going to work on the last two sections: Parent Teacher Letter and Author Introduction. Bu I also want to talk about how you are going to present next week and what should you have for the presentation.
In this section, you will write a letter to parents/teachers with the following in mind:
- An introduction to the adventure for parents: purpose of activities, helpful hints, materials needed, what sections need parental guidance, opportunities for extension (field trips, additional books, etc.), include a list of book titles that relate to the question.
- Rather than simply listing what you find on Amazon – search the Athens library and the CMC – find good books, not just books on the topic.
- Include LEARNING OBJECTIVES: use national standards, not state standards. If you really can’t find a good objective, or you feel that you want the kids to achieve some goals that are not responding to the GPS standards. Then you can write your own goals.
AUTHOR INTRODUCTION VIDEO
In your video you will want to tell about yourself and why you choose this topic. It does NOT to be a long video. You can use iMovie to record or use your smartphone. Then you need to sign in on YouTube by using your Google account. Please make sure that the video is set as PUBLIC.
Uploading your video to youtube is the easiest way to embed it onto your adventure’s introduction page. Once you have your video in YouTube, copy the URL of the video and go to your “Author Introduction” page and choose “insert”. You need to choose “Video” and then “YouTube”. Then you need to paste the YouTube link you copied earlier. You’ll just see a yellow box on your page; but once you save the page you should be able to view your video.
You have created a new site for this project and you need to make a page to describe this Learning Adventure Project in your e-portfolio before your presentation. So…pay attention:
1. To turn it in, you will need to create a new page on your e-portfolio and name the page “Learning Adventure”. Then, write a short description of your Learning Adventure (at least 2 paragraphs).
2. Double-check your learning adventure with the rubric. All group members should do this – make sure everything is covered.
- The tone you use: Make sure that you are like talking to your future students in each section, except for the parent teacher letter.
- Try to be explicit about how each section is related to the previous or next section. Remember that each section should guide the next section.
- For the Inquire section, all the questions do not need to be essential questions; try to include questions that stimulate students’ curiosity as well. And if you think this section can go with either your author introduction or the Hook, you can do it.
- The Hook section helps students feel motivated to participate in this project and get familiar with the topic by learning about interesting facts related to the topic and playing fun games relevant to the topic.
- In the Organize section, make sure you provide a clear direction on how students should use the graphic organizer (e.g., “Download the graphic organizer and complete it while you explore in the next section.“). Your advance organizer should be original – not from a template. DO NOT just ask students to download the organizer without any description, unless you have a very detailed organizer like the example “You Are What You Eat”.
- In the Explore section, clearly state what students are supposed to do with each website. Be explicit about what you want your students to learn from each site.
Now, if you don’t have any question, we need to do two things:
1) submit your learning adventure site URL to me.
2) decide the order of the presentation. One of you will come here to play the game to decide the order of your presentation.
- Prepare food for the showcase day! Sign up for the food today!
- Complete your Learning Adventure Site
- Prepare for the presentation of your Learning Adventure
- Work on your weekly discussion in VoiceThread