OK! We had a very nice guest speaker last Friday. Anyone still remember what YunJeong talked about? And what are the principles of UDL?
TIME TO ENROLL FOR CLASSES FOR NEXT SEMESTER
EDIT 4020 – the non-ed class with the “Big Project”
EDIT 4180 – online mentoring with elementary students using Edmodo
EDIT 5500 – Technology Tools for CMSD majors
And of course, EDIT 2000 is still available! Please tell your friends to come!
CROSS-CULTURAL COMMUNICATION PROJECT
We are going to collect the gift and the card you got for your Taiwanese partners today and Wednesday. If you didn’t bring it today, don’t forget to bring it in this Wednesday! We need to send them no later than this week!! If you are getting food, check with Michael and me to see whether that is something we actually can get in Taiwan and check the expiration date!
You are having a lot of interesting ideas about the first three topics on VoiceThread. I enjoy reading them a lot!! Keep up with your good job!!
We are going to have a new discussion thread for this week.
- Guess what types of food and dishes your team members from the other country eat often? [For example: I believe it is Italian food, pizza, because it’s popular in Taiwan (Pizza Hut) and delicious. The internet and movies like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle also informed my answer.]
- What are your favorite types of food and dishes? Describe the major ingredient in those dishes.
- Guess what your team members like to do with their spare time?
- What do you like to do with your spare time?
Before we move to the next topic of critical thinking and problem solving, I want to spend some time talking about Interactive White Board.
Most of the time, you will hear people say “SmartBoard”. However, SmartBoard is not the general term. “Smart” is the name of the company. It’s just because that most schools in Georgia signed the contract with that company. If you are looking for jobs in another place, they might have another name for it. We have two major companies One is Smart, and the other one is Promethean. They are very similar, so you don’t need to worry too much if you have the other one in your future classroom.
Most of you chose to have a Smartboard in your future/ dream class. This choice shows that most of you recognize the convenience and importance of having this technology tool in your classroom. Therefore, I want you to think more about using SmartBoard in your classroom or presentations. Let’s talk about these questions before we play with it.
- How many of you have the experiences in presenting with the help of SmartBoard? Do you like it? Why or why not?
- Some of you didn’t mention why you chose to have a SmartBoard in your classroom. Please tell us why you want to have it.
- Do you think SmartBoard can enhance communication? Why or why not?
- Do you think SmartBoard can enhance collaboration? Why or why not?
- What can be the defects of using SmartBoard?
- Each SmartBoard is about 6000 dollars. Do you think it is worthy? Why or why not? Is there any alternative?
Write down your answers on the sticky notes you get. We will do grouping later.
Let’s talk about the ideas together!
- Think about a problem that needs to be solved in your life.
- think about a topic that you want to teach with SmartBaord.
- Download SMART Notebook software. (The first software on this web page.)
- Work on your weekly discussion in VoiceThread.
- Finish your reflection on the article about copyright. It’s DUE today.