TEACHER BOOT CAMP
Hope you all have completed the worksheet for Teacher Boot Camp project. What did yo learn from the Teacher Boot Camp project? Let’s spend a little bit time talking about the ideas you got from reading the resources there.
- Differentiated Instruction
- Learning Ability
- Multiple Intelligence
The teachers in a school in South Carolina tried to combine differentiated instruction and technology together for their students. This project, to me, is not just differentiated instruction but also covers some of the other four ideas in the teacher boot camp website. Hope this video can help you understand these important terms in education.
How did you communicate with your teammates? Did you have problems or difficulties to communicate with your teammates? Did you use some tools listed here? How do you see technology play a role in the communication and collaboration?
COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION
When you are a teacher or a parent someday, I hope this won’t happen to you…However, sadly, I can see this situation increasing dramatically in today’s society.
In my mind, genuine communication should somehow be like this. In this way, we can also learn how to collaborate with others.
NETS STANDARDS ABOUT COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION
K-12 learners are using digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. They:
- Interact, collaborate, and publish with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and media.
- Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats.
- Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures.
- Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.
Considering this portrait of 21st century learners, how can a teacher engage learners with technology and still make sure students understand shapes, the causes of the Civil War, parts of speech, and the phases of the moon? Don’t forget…you also have to differentiate, be culturally responsive, make sure materials are accessible to all students and a host of other expectations. Can technology help or hinder the process of communication and collaboration in K-12 learning environments?
COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION TECHNOLOGIES
Go back to what we talked about communication and collaboration you did for the teacher boot camp project. Is there any other tools that you can choose? Let’s take a look at the resources for web 2.0 tools.
Now, I want you to spend a little bit time researching these web 2.0 tools. Try to find some tools that you haven’t heard before and then choose one that interests you the most. You are going to create a commercial for the web 2.0 tool you choose. After making up your mind, please write down your final choice on the whiteboard. If there is someone choose the same tool, then we might need to think about whether you want to work with him/ her, you want to it by yourself or you want to change to another tool.
- Read p.3-p.10 in Horizon Report. You can find the document in our shared folder. There are two versions. If you are interested in knowing the tech trends in K-12 Education, choose to read that one. If you are interested in knowing tech trends in higher education, like where you are, choose the other one. This will be your reflection No.5. Guiding questions will be provided next week.
- Watch Super Bowl commercials! It will give you some ideas about the infomercial we are going to create.
- Download Jing before coming to class on Wednesday if you use your own laptop in class.
- Play with the web 2.0 tool you chose.
Have a good Super Bowl weekend!